Beauty Secret: How You Should Really Air Dry Your Hair

Let’s face it, I’ve never been a pro when it comes to styling my own hair. These days as a new mum, it’s even harder to find the time to get a blowout (which is one of my absolute favorite ways to pamper myself), and to even attempt to do it on my own at home is just out of the question right now. So, air drying has become my new best friend! While this task can seem quite simple, depending on the texture of your hair, it can actually be very difficult to master. If done incorrectly, you can end up with a big frizzy mess on the top of your head. Nobody has time for that! Read on for my top 5 tips on how to air dry your hair, without the frizz.

1. Hair Masks
Masks aren’t just for our skin anymore. A hair mask can truly make all the difference in terms of how your hair will dry post shower. I love this Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment. Wash your hair as you normally would, then apply the mask for 5 minutes. I usually use this time to wash my face, shave my legs, or exfoliate. Once you rinse, your locks will feel silky smooth.

2. Brush your hair in the shower
To avoid frizziness at all costs, brush through your hair while it’s still soaking wet in the shower. This helps it to untangle much more easily, and helps the hair dry in it’s natural form and texture, without creating extra frizz. I highly recommend a Wet Brush if you don’t have one already – they’re made to be used with wet hair and have made a huge difference for me!

3. Towel off (correctly!)
Use a microfiber towel to gently squeeze the moisture out of your hair, without roughing it up. Traditional cotton towels can actually damage your hair, especially when you wrap them up on the top of your head (which most people tend to do!). They can be quite top heavy, which can cause breakage, thereby creating more frizz.

4. Wave/Surf Spray
I love the effortless look of tousled, beachy waves. On some days when I feel laziest and want an ‘undone’ look, I let my hair dry a little, then mist it with a texturizing spray for added bounce. It creates body, holds it in place, but never looks crusty or hard. This one by The Ouai is one of my favorites.

5. Leave-in products
When achieving the perfect air dry, using a leave-in product while your hair is still wet is an absolute must to avoid frizz. Some sort of nourishing styling cream or serum will help hair dry more smoothly, especially if you twist the product into the ends, and leave it be. The more you fuss with your hair while it’s drying, the more frizz you’ll have.

Do you guys have any tips for air drying your hair? Tell me your hacks in the comments below!

6 responses to “Beauty Secret: How You Should Really Air Dry Your Hair”

1. Emm says:

Keraste oleo-complex oil – It’s amazing! x

2. Sandra says:

As I expected!
    I didn’t even own a blow dryer until very recently my sister got me one. (I’m 22 years old!)
    I don’t like damaging my hair with heat because I feel it looks and works just fine when air-dried
    I got 4/5 of your tips checked already!

3. Tonada Koch says:

My tip for taking some of the rogue frizzies on top is to take a cheap toothbrush and spray hair spray on it and gently settle the frizz on top with it. Usually lasts all day.

4. Marcela says:

Redken No Blow Dry Bossy Cream!!
    The best! ?

5. Zineb says:

Very amazing stips ?

6. Claire says:

Hi!! Nice tips!! I have straight hair like you. I always let it air-dry but it sometimes end up being very flat and boring…
    One question: you only brush it wet in the shower? Or again after drying a bit with the towell?
    Thanks!!

• Of course we were front of the queue when the @VenetianVegas pool opened this AM! #ad #VenetianVegas #VenetianCelebrates
  • We made it to Vegas baby!! Time for Mum & Dad to have some fun 💫 @venetianvegas #venetianvegas #ad #venetiancelebrates
  • Greengrocer tip! Ever wish your fruit and veggies wouldn’t wither as soon as you got them home?! Enter this clever little fruit and vegetable wash which gives them a new lease of life. All natural, no chemicals and no food waste! Link in bio 🥦🌶🍐🍅 http://liketk.it/2GLWX #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • I remember the first time I met Ralph Lauren. I was working at Vogue.com in London, and was flown to Moscow (yes Moscow!!) for the launch of his flagship store there. The runway show was epic: a live orchestra played, and afterwards we drank frozen vodkas shots with pickles, and ate supper at the ambassador’s home under a hundred candelabras. We danced til the sun came up. Tonight, I’m getting a sneak peek at his @skyatlanticuk documentary, #VeryRalph, which I’ve been DYING to see, and it was incredible! Catch it tomorrow on @skyatlanticuk, or on demand any time. #ad
  • #ad Friendsgiving has become a very happy tradition for me. Living in LA, all us Brits had families far away so to celebrate the holiday we would gather to cook, eat, drink, play games, and laugh for hours. I was naturally always in charge of cocktails and this year I’m making the @ketelonebotanical Botanical Spritz. So easy to make and so delicious with no sugar and no carbs- just add club soda and fresh fruit to your favourite varietal in a wine glass! Can’t wait to bring this tradition back to England this year! #PeachandOrangeBlossom #KetelBotanical #BotanicalSpritz
  • I had so much fun shopping for Honor at @ilgufo_official today- and I got to chat to the Italian heritage brand’s elegant CEO @alessandrachiavelli ... watch it all on my stories. How are Italians just always so impeccably chic!? #ad #ilgufo_official
  • Today we walked to the town square and listened to the trumpets salute our fallen soldiers, we watched the helicopters fly overhead, and we listened to the choir sing. I wish Honor could have met her brave great-grandfathers, who fought in the RAF and the army, but I shall make sure I tell her all about them, and that every year we will proudly wear our poppies. #LestWeForget #RemembranceSunday
  • Literally got my claws into him 🤣
True romance ♥️
Love you babes @mackenziehunkin
  • Writing down your dreams and goals is such a powerful way to start making them a reality - but when was the last time you took the time to do it? I have lots of plans for the year ahead (like creating our dream family home!) and @kikki.k dream journals are the perfect way to set the wheels in motion, inspired by @kristinakikkik and her book. Link in bio. #101milliondreamers #kikkikdreamlife #kikkiklove #ad
  • Note to self: wearing leather trousers and heels to a reclamation yard does not get you the best deals 💰 😂🔨
Watch what we were doing here on @louiseroehome
  • My interiors obsession knows no bounds! On #FrontRoe today I’m looking at how to add pattern and colour to your home and why it’s not something to be nervous of. Link in bio to read http://liketk.it/2GvAC #liketkit @liketoknow.it @wicklewoodlondon
  • ad Having a true Hollywood moment in these stunning @pronovias gowns - which do you prefer, 1 or 2?
I’m also thrilled to show you my special edit of 5 fabulous dresses (for your wedding, Holiday party, NYE...) that are in store now at Pronovias on Bond St! Go shopping- it’s the ultimate dressing up box 💙#PronoviasEditLondon
Louise Roe Healthy Pear Cobbler Recipe
Easy And Healthy Pear Cobbler By Mummy Roe

This past summer my Mum and I made a super yummy, healthy peach cobbler on Insta stories, and so many...