Beauty Secret: How You Should Really Air Dry Your Hair

Let’s face it, I’ve never been a pro when it comes to styling my own hair. These days as a new mum, it’s even harder to find the time to get a blowout (which is one of my absolute favorite ways to pamper myself), and to even attempt to do it on my own at home is just out of the question right now. So, air drying has become my new best friend! While this task can seem quite simple, depending on the texture of your hair, it can actually be very difficult to master. If done incorrectly, you can end up with a big frizzy mess on the top of your head. Nobody has time for that! Read on for my top 5 tips on how to air dry your hair, without the frizz.

1. Hair Masks
Masks aren’t just for our skin anymore. A hair mask can truly make all the difference in terms of how your hair will dry post shower. I love this Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment. Wash your hair as you normally would, then apply the mask for 5 minutes. I usually use this time to wash my face, shave my legs, or exfoliate. Once you rinse, your locks will feel silky smooth.

2. Brush your hair in the shower
To avoid frizziness at all costs, brush through your hair while it’s still soaking wet in the shower. This helps it to untangle much more easily, and helps the hair dry in it’s natural form and texture, without creating extra frizz. I highly recommend a Wet Brush if you don’t have one already – they’re made to be used with wet hair and have made a huge difference for me!

3. Towel off (correctly!)
Use a microfiber towel to gently squeeze the moisture out of your hair, without roughing it up. Traditional cotton towels can actually damage your hair, especially when you wrap them up on the top of your head (which most people tend to do!). They can be quite top heavy, which can cause breakage, thereby creating more frizz.

4. Wave/Surf Spray
I love the effortless look of tousled, beachy waves. On some days when I feel laziest and want an ‘undone’ look, I let my hair dry a little, then mist it with a texturizing spray for added bounce. It creates body, holds it in place, but never looks crusty or hard. This one by The Ouai is one of my favorites.

5. Leave-in products
When achieving the perfect air dry, using a leave-in product while your hair is still wet is an absolute must to avoid frizz. Some sort of nourishing styling cream or serum will help hair dry more smoothly, especially if you twist the product into the ends, and leave it be. The more you fuss with your hair while it’s drying, the more frizz you’ll have.

Do you guys have any tips for air drying your hair? Tell me your hacks in the comments below!

6 responses to “Beauty Secret: How You Should Really Air Dry Your Hair”

1. Emm says:

Keraste oleo-complex oil – It’s amazing! x

2. Sandra says:

As I expected!
    I didn’t even own a blow dryer until very recently my sister got me one. (I’m 22 years old!)
    I don’t like damaging my hair with heat because I feel it looks and works just fine when air-dried
    I got 4/5 of your tips checked already!

3. Tonada Koch says:

My tip for taking some of the rogue frizzies on top is to take a cheap toothbrush and spray hair spray on it and gently settle the frizz on top with it. Usually lasts all day.

4. Marcela says:

Redken No Blow Dry Bossy Cream!!
    The best! ?

5. Zineb says:

Very amazing stips ?

6. Claire says:

Hi!! Nice tips!! I have straight hair like you. I always let it air-dry but it sometimes end up being very flat and boring…
    One question: you only brush it wet in the shower? Or again after drying a bit with the towell?
    Thanks!!

• This party has got the greatest buffet ever...watch on my stories 🧀 🍕
@vanityfair
  • Welcome back ☀️ http://liketk.it/2A3Un #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Party time 🎉 🎈
  • All my favorite things about being a mummy up on @romyandthebunnies now - link in bio
http://liketk.it/2zUyp #liketkit @liketoknow.it ⠀
  • I got so many questions about my headbands at fashion week - I decided to do a post about my new best friend for bad hair days - the 'turband'! Click the link in my bio to learn how to wear one, and shop all my favorites http://liketk.it/2zUAf #liketkit @liketoknow.it ⠀
  • Such a fun Sunday morning - I loved meeting you all and launching @dove’s new dry serum antiperspirant. And for those who couldn’t come to Hollywood... swipe up on my stories for behind the scenes moments and some Dove freebies! #dovepartner #feelitbelieveit”
  • It’s almost #Oscars Sunday! Looking back at some of my favorite awards show looks, which is your favorite? And what should I wear this year?!
  • Occasionally there is a WOW product that completely changes your skin: @no7usa's new Laboratories Line Correcting Booster Serum is it! When it launched in the UK, the waiting list grew to 17 thousand people, and they lined up around the block to get one. Intrigued? Watch my stories... ps. tap the pic to find out where to buy #No7USA #ad #No7Laboratories
  • More people than EVER are zipping off in search of Winter sun... so I’ve rounded up the most flattering swimwear to buy right now! Link in bio http://liketk.it/2yOkn #liketkit @liketoknow.it ⠀
  • Happy ♥️ Day lovers!
  • I’m trying out @Dove’s new Dry Serum Antiperspirant – inspired by skincare serums. Now that I think about it, why wouldn’t you treat all the areas of your body as well as you treat your face?? It feels super soft on my skin. #DovePartner #FeelItBelieveIt
  • Just us girls, having a cuppa ☕️ Read my interview about motherhood, work and life in LA, on @hatchgal (link in bio)⠀
⠀
Louise Roe Healthy Pear Cobbler Recipe
Easy And Healthy Pear Cobbler By Mummy Roe

This past summer my Mum and I made a super yummy, healthy peach cobbler on Insta stories, and so many...