Redefining ‘Maternity Leave’ In 2018

I’ve talked a bit about this subject on the blog before, but today I wanted to have an honest conversation with you guys about something that has become very personal to me in recent months – the idea of ‘maternity leave’, and defining what it means in 2018.

Before I go into what I went through myself, I did a little digging on the history of maternity leave. You might be shocked by the results. First off, less than 50 years ago, there was no such thing as maternity leave. And until the 1940’s, women working in the civil service in the UK, had to retire when they married. And even as more women entered the workforce, provisions for maternity leave (which protected them from being fired when they became pregnant) weren’t introduced until the 70’s in many European countries. What’s worse, laws demanding a minimum of 12 weeks unpaid leave weren’t introduced in the US until as late as 1993. 1993?! The point is – the act of balancing work and family life has been a large issue for working women over the last half century or so.

After having Honor, it really hit home that the notion of maternity leave isn’t the same for everyone – in fact for many, it doesn’t exist at all. With my own story, it’s a bit of a toss up. On the one hand I am extremely lucky – Mackenzie and I mostly get to plan and arrange our own schedule, work from home a lot and therefore see a lot of Honor. But on the flipside, I was back shooting and writing just days after the birth, and I returned to filming an 11 hour day on my feet, when she was just 6 weeks old. It was my first time back on the red carpet – the Oscars – no pressure there then! There was a lot more prep and pressure than usual, trying to do research while my brain was still fuzzy and on very little sleep, finding a dress to flatter a newly post-partum middle, pumping enough for Honor in the bathroom just minutes before going out onto the carpet, and praying that the boob pads inside my gown didn’t leak or fall out (which they nearly did!) during filming. And on top of that, I felt so guilty leaving her so soon.

I had a similar experience leaving for a 48 work trip to Italy when she was 3 months. Even though my mother-in-law came to LA to help me and it was such a short trip, I felt incredibly guilty again, and had to deal with crazy new experiences – like pumping regularly in the loo of an airplane and trying to sterilize 12 pieces of pumping equipment every 3 hours around the clock, in a 15th century hotel room in Verona! Sounds more romantic than it was, trust me! This all made me realize that most of my friends in LA are self employed or freelance, and therefore have no traditional ‘maternity leave’ either. So while we have more flexibility in our schedules, it’s often even harder to balance and juggle everything because work never stops. We are not the only ones – between 2008 – 2011, 80% of people entering self-employment were female, according to official figures. Not only are you bewildered and exhausted as all new parents are, you feel extra guilty wondering if it’s too early to go back. Unlike having traditional paid leave, as a freelancer when you don’t work – you don’t get paid. But even for women who work at traditional companies, not all states are required to provide paid leave – so mothers are often faced with the decision of how much time to take off, balanced with their financial restrictions. Overall, it’s a lot of mixed emotions and hard decisions to make.

It’s important that women know their local laws surrounding maternity leave, and even their individual company policies and benefits, so that they are able to properly communicate with their employers and know what to expect. In the US there is a federal law mandating 12 weeks of unpaid leave, though not all companies provide paid leave at all. In other countries, women are entitled to much longer paid leave, ranging from 14 weeks to a year in some places like Denmark, Finland and Sweden. In England, you get 6 months paid leave and the option to extend to another 6 months unpaid, where they keep your job open.

While ‘maternity leave’ may not mean the same thing for everyone, balancing going back to work with family life is always a juggle no matter where you work or what you do. There are practical things every mother can do to ease the transition back to work a little. Wear breast pads if you’re breastfeeding to keep from leaking and speak to your boss about having a private place to pump (many big companies like Amazon and Facebook even have special lactation rooms for female employees, while places like airports are shockingly bad). You may also need to communicate to them ahead of time that you will be needing certain breaks to pump throughout the day (the law requires that they allow these breaks to you, but many women – and even employers – may not be aware of these rights!). It’s also worth checking to see if your employer has childcare available – large firms here in LA such as NBC Universal – have nurseries for employees’ babies. See if you can negotiate a shorter week and do not be shy, embarrassed or feel guilty about making it known you will be leaving on time. There are so many company cultures in which employees feel that they can’t leave until the boss does, or feel competitive around ‘staying late’. This is nearly impossible as a mum and is not acceptable to be pressured into!

Frequent traveler? With a doctor’s letter you can freeze your airmiles during pregnancy and some of your maternity leave, and you can even get a household account so that your baby can be added once they are ready to come along.

Most importantly, be kind to yourself. Expect to have the odd meltdown – it truly it impossible to do it all (if you need a good laugh about the idea of women ‘having it all’ – literally, having all the responsibilities in the word – read this New Yorker article). Emotions (not to mention hormones) run high and it’s easy to feel at times like you’re always letting someone down. Ask for help (Granny??!), call your best friend to unload – even better if she’s a mum who has been through it), accept the fact you might have to spend a few weekends catching up on sleep instead of having fun, and keep a bottle of wine open in the fridge at ALL TIMES. Use apps like Peanut or The Bump to get support from other mums, ask questions, and share advice. Share your thoughts and experiences with me below!

9 responses to “Redefining ‘Maternity Leave’ In 2018”

1. Irina says:

I am always amazed at how bad other countries are at protecting moms and babies during the first months. In Romania (which lacks in most areas) you have 1 year of 85% paid leave with the possibility to extend to 2 years, the second being 75% paid. The trick is that the payment is done by the state not the employer so it’s not up to the employer if you get it or not. Wish more countries offered this kind of support for new mamas.

2. Breda says:

Really well written Louise…..appreciate the authenticity of the piece and it being well researched. Wishing you & your little family good health and happiness!

3. HOLLY MASCIOLI says:

In Canada we get 12 months of leave paid by the government, this can be either maternity or paternity. Most employers to up your pay for the first two or three months. The government just last added the option to take an additional six months at a reduced pay rate. We have it pretty good!

4. This article is so on point. I’m currently nearing the end of my maternity leave and all of this is so true. My biggest problem is I feel like I should be able to do it all. Everyone tells me I shouldn’t but I feel like I’m letting everyone down. It’s seriously a menta thing.

5. Anne-Maria says:

Ah, god! This puts things really into perspective. In my homecountry Estonia, similar to our neighbour Finland, you get to go to a paid maternity leave for 1.5 years and can get it extended for 3 years (the second 1.5 years being not paid). It is so easy to forget how lucky we are in this sense so thank you for the article. <3

6. Jenny says:

Great post! I have just returned to work after my maternity leave here in the UK. Unfortunately my employer no longer values my contribution to the business because I’m not as available as I used to be. Before I had my son I worked as many hours I could to meet the demands of our business. Now I’m leaving the office earlier to get that one special hour with him before he goes down for the night. I was so determined to find a balance where I didn’t have guilt. But my current reality is full of this horrible feeling and I have felt so thorn trying to make it work. After 8 years with my employer, they now have concerns about my capability 5 weeks after returning from Maternity leave and that feeling sucks even worse than the guilt.
    #notwinning #mumguilt #whatnext

7. Marina says:

Love it! I’m a Mum of two under two and I know what guilt and pressure from society is.
    I am lucky to be European so I have a year maternity leave, benefits for me and my babies and a possibility of a part time job.
    It’s a shame that in America people don’t have many rights.

8. Patti Robbins says:

I had my son 28 years ago. I took 8 weeks maternity leave. I went back to work after 8 weeks and my son went to daycare where he went until he was 5.
    I didn’t breast feed so it wasn’t that bad. I missed him but eventually we fell into a routine.
    The 12 week unpaid leave was introduced by President Clinton. It is not just for maternity leave. It’s called family leave. I took 12 weeks when my mother was ill.
    It’s different for each person and you just have to do what feels right for you. There’s no one size fits all.

9. your doughter is sooo beautiful

Giulia

• Hands up my fellow spectacle wearers! 🙋🏻‍♀️ How to do your makeup when you wear glasses...read my tips on #FrontRoe! Link in bio.
http://liketk.it/2F5ZP #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Shout out to my husband for looking super hot on our parent’s night out tonight. See what I mean ( 👖 🍑) on my stories... @wrangler #wranglerbuttsdrivemenuts #ad
  • Having a daughter of my own has made me realize more than ever how important it is to teach our children about female empowerment. One way I love educating Honor about girl power is through storytelling. I have discovered some truly empowering and uplifting books with examples of brilliant trailblazing women in history or fictional stories about independent and courageous girls who carve out their own paths in life. I’ve rounded up a few of my favorites on #FrontRoe that I have read to Honor or gifted to special young ladies in my life! Link in bio. http://liketk.it/2F1Zr #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Do you remember how short my hair was when I first started using @BondiBoost Hair Growth range a few months ago!? Wow has it grown and thickened up fast! I took it with me to England and had to hide it in Honor’s suitcase when we flew home so Mum wouldn’t steal it, LOL. If you’re looking to grow your hair I highly recommend trying this Aussie made, cruelty-free haircare brand. #BoostYourRoots #BondiBoost #Sponsored
  • The night before moving to LA over ten years ago, I watched Pretty Woman for the millionth time, to get me in the mood (not because I wanted to be a prozzie, but rather because I couldn’t wait to strut down Rodeo Drive 🛍) and ten years later, the street is still just as magical 💫 🌴
  • Onto the next adventure my ♥️!!
  • Today was exhausting, emotional and surreal... I’m too shattered to write a long caption - my eyes are closing - but see my stories for a house update, more from me tomorrow! ✌🏻 🏡 😢
  • #ad Long distance traveling really takes a toll on my skin and this summer has seen a lot of long-haul flying. @Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting cream and @Olay Regenerist Whip have really been the only staples in my bag and I combine the two to keep my face happy. See my stories for a link to get your hands on one #Olay #RedJar #FaceAnything
  • When Thursday afternoon really felt like Friday afternoon today 😍🍾What a beautiful party sipping on James Bond’s favorite bubbly! Thank you @champagne_bollinger #bollingerpartner
  • We have some big news!
After a decade living in LA, we are going to be spending more time in London. We want Honor to be closer to family, to friends back home, and to the English countryside. We aren’t turning our backs on America (we’ll be splitting our time!) But over the coming months, Mackenzie and I will be house-hunting in England, traveling around Europe and sharing every moment with you guys.
I’m feeling super emotional writing this. What a big change. I will be forever grateful to the experiences, friendships, jobs and sunshine Los Angeles has given me, but it’s time for a new family chapter.
Now where should we visit on our new European adventure?? As always, thank you guys for your constant ♥️ and support!
  • Last of the Sunmer stripes... this dress is now only $47! Download the @liketoknow.it app, follow me @LouiseRoe to shop all my looks! http://liketk.it/2EQdx #liketkit
  • Just because it’s September doesn’t mean I can’t still have popsicles... and these ones are made with edible flowers, coconut and rose water! Link in bio for the DIY details http://liketk.it/2EMx6 #liketkit @liketoknow.it
Louise Roe wearing summer cotton dress in England
Easy Dresses For Summer Sightseeing

Summer is coming to a close in just 6 short weeks, but chances are you still might have a fun...