It’s high Summer, and we’re just returning to blistering LA after spending a lovely few weeks visiting friends and family in the UK. It’s reaching record heat levels here in southern California, so we plan to spend as much time poolside as we possibly can. Being English I love toast, and being from LA – I love avocado toast. So when I saw an adorable photo on Instagram of beautiful, differently colored toasts, I just had to try them for myself (and Mackenzie of course – you’re welcome babes).
These pretty toasts can be made in any combination you like, but I went for a nice balance of savory and sweet: avocado with fresh summer corn, strawberries with brie and balsamic vinegar, and almond butter with blueberry compote. Plus they’re so gorgeous, you’ll barely want to eat them (until you get the perfect Insta shot of course)! Read below for the recipes, and make sure to tag me on social if you make them so I can check them out.
Avocado & Corn
-2 to 3 slices of your favorite bread (I went with a dark sprouted rye bread, which are easier to digest and lower glycemic than traditional bread making them on the healthier side)
-1 to 2 large ripe avocados
-1 can of fresh corn (drained & rinsed)
-2 to 3 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime juice
-Cotija cheese, fresh chopped basil and salt & pepper to taste
1. Toast the bread to your liking and open the avocado.
2. Scoop out the meat of the avocado and spread evenly on each slice of bread. Mash it with a fork onto the bread, leaving some chunks whole.
3. In a small bowl, mix the fresh corn, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Scoop this mixture onto each slice of bread, covering the avocado.
4. Sprinkle each slice with cotija cheese, basil, and extra lime or lemon juice to taste.
Strawberries & Brie
-2 to 3 slices of bread (same or different than above – it’s also fun to mix and match!)
-Soft brie cheese
-1 package of organic strawberries (washed and sliced)
-Balsamic vinegar to taste
1. Toast the bread. Slice the brie into small slivers (I used this log of brie, which was easier to slice into even pieces). Layer evenly on each slice of bread.
2. Layer the sliced strawberries on top of the brie, and drip balsamic vinegar over the top to your liking.
Almond & Blueberry
-Bread (same as above)
-Your favorite nut butter (I used organic almond)
-About 1 cup of this blueberry compote
-Optional: edible flowers for garnish!
1. Toast the bread and layer evenly with almond butter.
2. Follow the directions for the blueberry compote and top of almond butter with the mixture to taste.
3. Garnish with edible flowers. Enjoy!