The 5 Most Important Things I’ve Learned Since Giving Birth

It’s been almost 3 months since we welcomed our little angel into the world, and what a magical few weeks it’s been. Having a baby is such a whirlwind of emotions and experiences – in less than a year you go from just looking after yourself, to seeing your body completely transform, to bringing an entirely new person into existence before your very eyes! It’s by far the most beautiful experience I’ve gone through to date. Honor has taught me so much already in her 3 months of life, so today I’m sharing with you the 5 most important things I’ve learned since giving birth (though I know so many more lessons are to come!).

The female body is amazing!
I have a whole new respect and reverence for the female body, including my own. It grows and stretches to house a whole person, not to mention the process of giving birth itself, and its ability to create the nourishment your baby needs to survive and grow strong. Even following Honor’s birth, I’m still so in awe that my body is slowly settling back into what it was before pregnancy. While we can feel so much pressure to lose weight quickly or “snap back” to our old selves, I’ve been trying to be loving and patient towards my body – it will get there when it gets there, and I’m so grateful for what it did. PS. A lot of you have been asking about my post-natal diet and exercise regime. I’m breast-feeding, which means I’m HUNGRY! So I’m eating a lot of warm, hearty meals, but trying as much as possible to be healthy. I’m ramping up my exercise again finally, to include spinning, circuit training and barre class – and I’m creating a vlog for my Youtube channel with all the food and exercise details in it, in case you’re interested or want to follow along.

You can handle a lot more than you think you can.
Before the baby arrived, I honestly didn’t think I was going to be able to handle the lack of sleep. People terrify you about it. Add balancing a career and a relationship on top of that, and it seemed damn near impossible. But I think 9 months of pregnancy really does prepare you to be tough. I wasn’t sleeping well towards the end (anyone else pee ten times a night?!) and I had done a lot of reading for tips on maximizing your time (and sleep) as a new mum.

You realize quickly after you give birth that you can handle more than you ever imagined possible, including very little sleep, and all the other responsibilities life demands of you. Multi-tasking goes to a whole new level and this little person seems to uncover all the strength and willpower you never knew you had! But the difference between say, being exhausted for work and being exhausted as a parent, is that the minute they smile or coo, you forget about how you feel. Genuinely, the joy and pride of having this tiny helpless person look into your eyes is the greatest, most tremendous joy I’ve ever felt, times a thousand.

But just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
I’ve also realized that just because mums are superheroes, doesn’t mean that we should do absolutely everything. That’s a surefire way to burning yourself out, quickly. If working out, cleaning, cooking or social engagements just seem like too much at the beginning, give yourself a break and ample time to settle into this new life. I mentioned this on my post about how to get sleep with a newborn, but it’s ok to sacrifice that load of laundry or dishes if you just need a moment to yourself when your baby is napping. I got very good at delegating, and asking friends or family to do specific things: not just making tea but going to the supermarket with a list, making the bed, or watching Honor for an hour or two (not just ten minutes!) while I took a bath or got a proper nap. Ask for help and be kind to yourself!

It’s not all rainbows and butterflies.
This is something that I’ve rarely heard other mums talk about on social media, but I know it’s true for all of us. Being a mum is hard, and sometimes it feels too hard. Sometimes you cry out of sheer exhaustion and feel like you’re never going to get your life together. Sometimes you just want a minute to yourself or with your partner, and there are days where even that one minute doesn’t come. Even though your sweet little babe is completely worth all the struggle, it’s not all cuddles and playtime. I remember Honor’s 6 week growth spurt was full-on. She wanted to feed every hour or two (that’s 24/7 for about 5 days), and wouldn’t stop crying. Nothing would calm her down. I had read about this happening and when I asked friends, they all had varying experiences. One said she just took off her bra, sat of the sofa ready to feed all day and had her hubby bring her food. Another said they had barely noticed the growth spurt. But the point is, I was reaching my breaking point and decided to reach out for advice and stories. You guys gave me the best tips online too (downloading the app Wonder Weeks was a life-saver!) and I think more women should feel free to talk about these struggles, without feeling guilt that they’re panicking or worrying they’re not doing things right – we’re human after all, and motherhood is far from perfect.

You fall in love with your partner in a whole new way.
This is something people told me when I was pregnant, and I can say now is completely true. Becoming first time parents transforms your relationship in such a powerful, beautiful way. You go from the fun, flirty, spontaneous days… to falling in love and creating a life together as a couple, to bringing this special person into the world together that you both fall head over heels for. It’s such a journey that only the two of you are on together. Mackenzie comes off as all jokes, but he’s completely mad about Honor, and the most dedicated, loving, protective father. He calls us ‘his girls’ and is so hands-on. Watching him become a father has made me love him even more than I did before.

Parents out there, tell me what having a child has taught you, below in the comments!

Shop the Look:

Louise Roe motherhood lessons wearing veronica beard blazer frame jeans anine bing boots and lack of colour hat

What I’m Wearing: Blazer by Veronica Beard, Sweater by St. John (similar here), Jeans by Frame(similar here), Boots by Anine Bing, Hat by Lack of Color, Similar hoops here

8 responses to “The 5 Most Important Things I’ve Learned Since Giving Birth”

1. Pernilla says:

Love this, Louise!! So amazingly written & very important points. For me, this whole no-sleep thing that parents talk about very much happened. Our daughter had many health issues, including open-heart surgery. We spent weeks in the ICU and barely slept. At home, she needed to be nursed every 90 min for weeks straight so she could gain weight. STILL, it’s been possible for us to function. I’m sure people on the outside look at us as huge messes, but I feel we have done okay. We are alive and our daughter is doing great ? Our bodies are amazing & very much capable of handling more than I could have ever imagined.

2. Kelly says:

So true, it’s lovely to see you go through this journey. Wishing you both all the happiness in they years to come ❤️.

3. Lara says:

The value of Time, i used to have so much time, I don’t know what I was doing with it. Fear, never is it more scary than when something is wrong with your child. Love, on a whole new level, and it transforms, I love my teenager differently than my baby (both drive me mad though). That girls and boys are so similar and so different at the same time.

4. Cheryl says:

Love this! It brought tears to my eyes. The phrase “labor of love “ never had so much meaning , eh!
    Love your honesty. I remember looking back in giving birth and thinking, if I can get through that I can get through anything. I also had some nights where I was feeding in the middle of the night and felt so sick or in so much pain, I cried myself and the baby back to sleep. Now,I have 4 adults. Now, I get real unconditional love and the love of God. Mackenzie keep up the humor!!! It’s very important to be able to lighten life up! I always had the tendency to take it too seriously. Lots of laughter is healthy!

5. Janelle says:

Louise, You make every single look seem so effortless and chic.

6. Jaimie says:

….has redefined the meaning of the terms, cheerleader & warrior, as well as the importance & value of every•single•one of my wedding vows. Most importantly, my faith✨and prayerfulness & gratefulness have been and continue to be so much more profound — enlightening, comforting & enriching.

7. Lynn says:

I loved reading this, I just welcomed my first baby in to the world on Sunday and the last 6 days have been a total whirlwind. There’s been tears, uncertainty, self doubt about whether I’m breast feeding correctly…. the list goes on and its reassuring to know that literally every other mum goes through the exact same thing x

8. Sumbul Amir says:

classy look.
    Lovely journey. ?

• Happy Memorial Day weekend!
I can’t even handle the cuteness of this little gardener 🌱 👶
Ps. Our matching dresses are @shopdoen
  • How fascinating is this: the part of our brain controlling memory and emotion, is directly linked to the nerve at the back of our nose. Meaning, certain smells have the ability to completely change our mood and outlook on life. Here's a deeper dive into how you can instantly improve your mood with the strike of a match or a spritz of perfume - link in bio ⠀⠀
  • Prepping for #MemorialDay weekend with some early pool time @akaweho @bikinicultureofficial
#bikini #swimwear #summerfashion http://liketk.it/2C1SL #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • I wish there was a magic wand to 1) not feel so tired, and 2) get rid of the dark circles under my eyes! Agreed? A double latte helps with the former, and omg - @no7usa Dark Spot Correcting Booster Serum has helped enormously with the latter. Remember I talked about this brand a few months back? I've used it since I was a teen in the UK and I'm thrilled I can easily buy it in the US. Grab yours @Walgreens and tell me how you like it! #No7Laboratories #No7USA #ad
  • One of my best secret shopping spots? @Ebayfashion! You wouldn’t believe the designer gems I’ve found on there- especially designer handbags. Their authenticate program means you can shop luxury jewelry, watches and bags with full confidence! http://liketk.it/2BTs3 #liketkit @liketoknow.it #eBaystyle #HappeningoneBay #ad
  • Did you know that in the US, a woman still makes only 80% of what her male counterpart does? In the UK last year, men made nearly 12% more than women for the same jobs. The wage gap is real, and still an issue. So, what can YOU do right now at work to be taken more seriously, and help close this gap? Click the link in my bio to read the tips I've learned over the years, and make sure to tell me yours in the comments! http://liketk.it/2BTrw #liketkit @liketoknow.it ⠀
  • Polka dots in Venice Beach 🏖
  • Who's ready for a new Summer thriller to read?? #TheNightBefore by @wendywalkerauthor is one of the few books that can keep me up past 10pm these days (any mums out there relate?), in fact I can't put it down whenever I get a free minute to read. It's finally on sale now - check the link in my stories to purchase, and let's start a Summer book club. But whatever you do, do NOT spoil the end for me just yet! #InPartnershipwithWenderWalker
  • Inflammation is a buzzword lately. It’s been linked to more serious illnesses than I can count, weight-gain, bad skin - and now studies have linked it to depression. People are now eating anti-inflammatory foods in LA like locusts! So much so, there’s currently a celery ‘shortage’, and the price of celery juice (another massive trend) has risen by 200%. Gisele and Tom Brady famously follow an anti-inflammatory diet, designed by their chef. So what IS inflammation, and how do we reverse it? Click the link in my bio for some⠀⠀
mind-blowing health info, and to try my tropical turmeric smoothie bowl (it’s anti-inflammatory!)🍍 http://liketk.it/2BSjG #liketkit @liketoknow.it ⠀⠀
  • One bonus of the cold (‘cold’) weather in LA... I can wear my new vinyl trousers
  • I always remember reading an interview with a movie star, who called her stretch marks, her ‘tiger stripes’. I’ve had mine since I was 18, and always felt very self-conscious. Reading that interview flicked a switch for me- and totally changed my perspective. Since then, I’ve worked with women of ALL shapes, ages and backgrounds, to help them feel more confident in their skin: sometimes when I’m filming a makeover show, sometimes if I’m writing an article, or working with a charity like Step Up. Whether that’s how to walk into an interview, how to prep a resumé, what to wear, or how to look after your body- in particular- your skin. A few years ago, I wrote a book (Front Roe), about it all. Then I had a baby, and my relationship with my body changed again, for the better. I was in absolute AWE at what the female body can achieve. Listen, every single one of us has body hang ups, cellulite, scars, shapes we don’t always love. But what it took me time to slowly realize, is that our bodies are freaking hard-working, clever, miraculous machines. They are! So I’ve written about some of the tips I’ve used in the past to feel more body confident (and ps, the science behind it all, is fascinating). Click the link in my bio to read. And please as always, share some body confidence journeys of your own below... @Olay #OlaySun #FaceAnything #ad
  • Polka dots and caffeine... I’m happy
Casual Fridays: An Updated Spring Work Look

Remember the days when your outfits to school were of the utmost importance? As an adult, it's a similar feeling...