Guys – I’ve just discovered Neiman Marcus’ One Day Designer Sale, and it’s too amazing not to share! I actually hit the store itself, (but you can also go online to shop the sale here) and I went nuts browsing around every department. No sweater and slipdress was left unturned! I literally scoured every rail on every floor, (which is one of my tips for shopping sales actually – you never know which corner will have the best treasure tucked away, so go to all the sections you might otherwise skip).
I wanted a cozy sweater in warm, Fall colors. I saw this blush pink v-neck by Helmut Lang and then started a color story in my head. Currently, I’m obsessed with slip dresses worn with oversized, chunky-knit sweaters. Such a sexy but chic, laid-back Fall uniform. And anyone can wear it, no matter your height, shape or size.
I went for the sweater in a size up from usual, because I wanted it to hang off my shoulder and reveal the spaghetti straps of my dress underneath. Oh let’s talk about this dress (here’s a similar one)! It was on a packed sale rail and I nabbed it – I love the claret-tone, perfect and versatile for Fall, I’d wear it with brown boots, gold strappy heels, black loafers – the whole gammet.
Now, the shoe game in this sale is out of control. Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin, Gianvito Rossi, and my personal favorite – Aquazzura – all have a ton of gorgeous options. Don’t waste time admiring by the style online on in-store, better tactic to search for your size, and race to get what’s available that way. I’ve still got my eye on a pair of cherry red suede Aquazzuras, with a tassle on the heel. So gorg!
Lastly, not many of you guys know this, but I wear glasses for long distance. Every Christmas I go back to England to get my eyes tested, so I figured I’d jump the gun and get a stylish pair of frames in advance. What do you think of these thick-rim Oliver Peoples pair?
Before you hit the sale (and remember, it’s today), here are my sales-shopping tips…
1. Wear a little makeup. Give yourself a chance when trying items on in the changing room: makeup and heels really help bring the garments alive.
2. Pick up everything that you like as you go – whether that’s in your online cart, or in your actual arms. Sales often only have one of each size, you can’t risk losing whatever catches your eye!
3. Do a little research. Plan the kinds of items you want to buy in advance – this keeps you focused and stops you being distracted by impulse buys that actually, don’t work with your style and wardrobe.
4. Sales are a great chance to snap up something luxurious and timeless that might otherwise be out of price range. Cashmere, a designer handbag, a beautiful overcoat or evening dress. Neiman Marcus’ sale is all about designer deals, so go for something that you can imagine in your closet ten years from now – it’ll be worth every penny.
5. This tip’s from my Mum: when deciding on an item, imagine yourself wearing it three different ways with pieces you already own. That way, you know you’ll end up wearing it.