It’s Finally Here – Our Baby’s Nursery!

Readers of my blog will know that I’m obsessed with interior design (even more than fashion lately!), but this particular design project was more special than anything else we’ve done at home so far: our baby girl’s nursery. Maybe I’m just hormonal, but this adorable space turned out so sweet that it brought me to tears when finished.

Mackenzie and I were keen that the space wasn’t too ‘babyish’ – it was important to keep it elegant and in keeping with the rest of the house too. I adore a very English country feel, having grown up there; plus our house here in LA was built in the 1930’s, so it lends itself well to antique furniture and traditional prints.

First up, I went for wallpaper. I think it gives a room such depth. Chintz was top of my list, and is making a major comeback! I found the perfect pattern by my friend Nathan Turner. As soon as I laid eyes on it, I stopped looking at anything else.

Knowing we were having a daughter, I opted for a feminine color palette. Instead of traditional pinks, I took the green and peach from the wallpaper and ran with it. I found a storage basket from Serena & Lily, woven with a hint of seafoam, which is a great way to hide diapers!

I worked with Jessica McCarthy from the design firm Decorist, who whipped up a mood board from my notes, and began suggesting retailers and products for the space. Decorist does all correspondence between designer and client online, and is a really cost-effective way to work with a designer. Jessica’s advice has been super helpful in putting the space together – as a nursery isn’t just about aesthetics but a very practical array of items, and where they need to be placed, which is all new to us!

Jessica suggested layering a vintage rug over a sisal one, and she sourced the neutral rug from Bed Bath & Beyond, and I found the vintage one all the way in Turkey on Etsy! I love bringing unexpected things together and seeing how they work. The antique chest and side table from Viyet really brought the whole space to life – complemented by the 1920’s encyclopedia prints, which were another unexpected twist! I love how they look very chic and grown up, but are actually educational for children too. To pick up on the warmth of the gold frames, Jessica found a mirror and standing lamp, also from Bed Bath and Beyond.

One day when my Mum was visiting from England, we stumbled into Pottery Barn Kids, and fell in love with a crib, chair, and bedding. I couldn’t resist the lamb mobile, which Mackenzie has just finished hanging! The chair rocks and reclines, perfect for nursing in the middle of the night, and we got to choose an exact, custom fabric that would match the curtains, which we got from Loom. The ‘cot’ – as we call them in England, also turns into a toddler bed in a few years, which is handy. To keep everything neutral (I didn’t want anything bright), I chose simple, white quilted bed linen, which looks gorgeous. Plus, how cute is this little onesie? It looks adorable hanging on these silk mini hangers.

Lastly, I’m a bookworm, and grew up with traditional children’s literature like Peter Rabbit. So I couldn’t resist buying the full Beatrix Potter collection, to store on a marble shelf. Hopefully the ‘nursing corner’ will one day become our little girl’s ‘reading corner’ instead! Shop all the pieces below!

Shop Our Nursery:

Louise Roe Baby Girl Nursery Reveal

16 responses to “It’s Finally Here – Our Baby’s Nursery!”

1. I love how neutral, but feminine it is. I wish you an amazing parenting, filled with joy and love!

Your nursery is looking fabulous and I love that it’s so you!!

3. Cheryl says:

Very peaceful and lovely. I adore the Beatrix Potter books. My girls would carry them with them in their purses.

4. Ella says:

Louise it is just BEAUTIFUL! Most nurseries tend to be a cute explosion of pink or light blue, but this is way more charming in my opinion ☺️

5. smoothielover07 says:

Love, love, LOVE Honor’s nursery! Everything’s so adorable, of course! That little onesie hanging on her dresser and those booties on the Rifle Paper Co. edition of Little Women…babies will always and forever have the cutest things. 😀

6. Lindsay says:

Love this ???Such a classic theme you’ve got going on there. Pretty wallpaper, lovely fabrics & Beatrix Potter books ??

7. Malia says:

Love it, especially the (future) book corner!!

8. Jae says:

Love the feminine color palette you got going on in the nursery. Your baby girl is so lucky to have such a beautiful nursery! Good luck on the remaining of your pregnancy!

9. Lichelle Nielsen says:

Such a beautiful and inspiring nursery forbyde cutest baby girl! Just s little tip regarding the mobile pattern over the crib: Babies gets more stimulated by moving colors, therefore colorful mobile pattern are the best way to stimumate your baby and help them focus their ability of sight. But again, really cute nursery items you’ve decorated the room with 🙂 best of luck and joy to you and your family!

10. Marianna says:

Beautiful nursery, Louise! I’m decorating my baby girl’s nursery, so thank you for the tips and inspiration!

11. Michelle says:

It looks gorgeous

12. kathy moschi says:

Yours nursery is so beautiful and styled…I did not expect anything less than you,I wish you to spend unforgettable moments of happiness in this room…..xoxo

13. Eva Fakari says:

Wish you all the best!,,,

Love from Greece!

14. Jana says:

TOPNOTCH!!
    Always been in love with your taste, and now more.
    Lucky Honor little girl, God bless her.
    Xoxox
    Best Regards,
    Jana

15. Kat says:

Crib bumpers can be a suffocation hazard and are best done without. Please be mindful.

16. Kelly says:

I am looking for an off white crib like this one, when I click on the link to your crib, it almost acts like it doesn’t exist anymore, is this color off white? Do you perhaps know anywhere else that might have anything similar if this one isn’t available! I love love love the space you have created!!! 🙂

• Of course we were front of the queue when the @VenetianVegas pool opened this AM! #ad #VenetianVegas #VenetianCelebrates
  • We made it to Vegas baby!! Time for Mum & Dad to have some fun 💫 @venetianvegas #venetianvegas #ad #venetiancelebrates
  • Greengrocer tip! Ever wish your fruit and veggies wouldn’t wither as soon as you got them home?! Enter this clever little fruit and vegetable wash which gives them a new lease of life. All natural, no chemicals and no food waste! Link in bio 🥦🌶🍐🍅 http://liketk.it/2GLWX #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • I remember the first time I met Ralph Lauren. I was working at Vogue.com in London, and was flown to Moscow (yes Moscow!!) for the launch of his flagship store there. The runway show was epic: a live orchestra played, and afterwards we drank frozen vodkas shots with pickles, and ate supper at the ambassador’s home under a hundred candelabras. We danced til the sun came up. Tonight, I’m getting a sneak peek at his @skyatlanticuk documentary, #VeryRalph, which I’ve been DYING to see, and it was incredible! Catch it tomorrow on @skyatlanticuk, or on demand any time. #ad
  • #ad Friendsgiving has become a very happy tradition for me. Living in LA, all us Brits had families far away so to celebrate the holiday we would gather to cook, eat, drink, play games, and laugh for hours. I was naturally always in charge of cocktails and this year I’m making the @ketelonebotanical Botanical Spritz. So easy to make and so delicious with no sugar and no carbs- just add club soda and fresh fruit to your favourite varietal in a wine glass! Can’t wait to bring this tradition back to England this year! #PeachandOrangeBlossom #KetelBotanical #BotanicalSpritz
  • I had so much fun shopping for Honor at @ilgufo_official today- and I got to chat to the Italian heritage brand’s elegant CEO @alessandrachiavelli ... watch it all on my stories. How are Italians just always so impeccably chic!? #ad #ilgufo_official
  • Today we walked to the town square and listened to the trumpets salute our fallen soldiers, we watched the helicopters fly overhead, and we listened to the choir sing. I wish Honor could have met her brave great-grandfathers, who fought in the RAF and the army, but I shall make sure I tell her all about them, and that every year we will proudly wear our poppies. #LestWeForget #RemembranceSunday
  • Literally got my claws into him 🤣
True romance ♥️
Love you babes @mackenziehunkin
  • Writing down your dreams and goals is such a powerful way to start making them a reality - but when was the last time you took the time to do it? I have lots of plans for the year ahead (like creating our dream family home!) and @kikki.k dream journals are the perfect way to set the wheels in motion, inspired by @kristinakikkik and her book. Link in bio. #101milliondreamers #kikkikdreamlife #kikkiklove #ad
  • Note to self: wearing leather trousers and heels to a reclamation yard does not get you the best deals 💰 😂🔨
Watch what we were doing here on @louiseroehome
  • My interiors obsession knows no bounds! On #FrontRoe today I’m looking at how to add pattern and colour to your home and why it’s not something to be nervous of. Link in bio to read http://liketk.it/2GvAC #liketkit @liketoknow.it @wicklewoodlondon
  • ad Having a true Hollywood moment in these stunning @pronovias gowns - which do you prefer, 1 or 2?
I’m also thrilled to show you my special edit of 5 fabulous dresses (for your wedding, Holiday party, NYE...) that are in store now at Pronovias on Bond St! Go shopping- it’s the ultimate dressing up box 💙#PronoviasEditLondon
What Was In My Hospital Bag

As you guys may know, we recently welcomed our daughter Honor into the world last week! What to pack in...