My Top 5 Summer Beach Reads

Planning your Summer vacation? Here are my top paperbacks to take with you! All set in different countries around the world, I’ve cherry-picked my favorite beach reads of 2017 – from light-hearted romps to thrillers, emotive historical journeys, and gripping, political non-fiction.

Crazy Rich Asians, by Kevin Kwan
I was recommended this by a PR friend right before I left to host a show with Fox Asia, in a remote part of beachy Malaysia. It’s a hilarious, insightful read about the generational and cultural issues faced by a group of ABC’s (American-Born-Chinese) and the jaw-dropping wealth and snobbery they encounter. It not only made me want to visit (and eat my way through) Singapore, but I can’t wait to read its sequel, China Rich Girlfriend.

I Am Malala, by Malala Yousafzai
After seeing her speak at a charity dinner, I was enraptured by Malala’s wisdom and bravery. Shot in the head by the Taliban on her school bus in Pakistan’s Swat Valley for campaigning for the rights of girls to an education, Malala was not expected to survive. Instead, she and her family were relocated to England, where she continues her peaceful protests by speaking all over the world, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Her story is a must-read.

Mount! By Jilly Cooper
If you’re English, you know all about Jilly Cooper. Now in her seventies, this legendary author writes about posh people drinking scotch, riding horses in the sunny countryside, and shagging each other’s wives. It’s bloody brilliant! And now she has brought out another in the series, after a couple of decades break. I can remember finishing my English Literature degree Summer of 2004, having spent years deconstructing complicated novels and ancient poems. I bought my first Jilly Cooper book and spent the summer enjoying a very different kind of literature! PS. If you’re going to buy Mount, I’d start at the beginning with Cooper’s novel Riders, followed by Rivals, then Polo.

The Paris Wife, by Paula McClain
The Belle Epoque fascinates me. An era of decadence and artistic creation second-to-none. But not everyone realizes these geniuses associated with the period (F.Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound) were all buddies hanging out in Paris together, drinking absinthe at Les Deux Magots and holidaying as a group on the Riviera, or in Spain, to watch the Bull Fighting. The Paris Wife is a raw, romantic, sobering and sometimes sad peak into the life of Ernest Hemingway’s first wife Elizabeth, narrated from her perspective, as Hemingway struggles to find inspiration, social standing and enough publishing contracts to pay the rent. This is the first book I ever cried at, reading the end.

The House on Sunset Lake, by Tasmina Perry
I still feel so proud of my former editor, Tammy, when I see her books in the store! Even though she’s a best-selling author of over ten books, I still remember the day she gave me my first job a decade ago, as a features assistant at In Style magazine. She believed in me and has been a friend, mentor and source of inspiration ever since. So every Spring, when her newest novel drops, I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Her latest thriller is as glamorous as ever, set in Savannah, Georgia.

7 responses to “My Top 5 Summer Beach Reads”

I love the sound of all these books! especially the first one – I’ve heard so much about it I think I need a good easy read like that one!

2. Jae says:

I enjoyed reading Crazy Rich Asians too- interesting, easy and fast to read!

3. selam says:

those are really great books and can we get of these books as a giveaway?

4. Briana says:

Great recommendations! I read Crazy Rich Asians a few months ago and just read the follow up China Rich Girlfriend. Kevin Kwan’s books are so good!

Briana | youngsophisticate.com

5. Natalie says:

I am Malala is such an inspirational read!

6. Joanne says:

Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend were great reads!! He has a new one too – coming out soon called Rich People Problems!! Can’t wait to read it – I love his humor and the mixed in history and sociology lessons – fascinating and fun.

7. Victoria says:

Ooh thanks for sharing these reads, Louise! I’m especially excited to read I Am Malala. Her story reminds me of Fawzia Koofi’s as seen in her book Letters to My Daughters: A Memoir.

• Have you ever thought about adding an art wall to your house? They’re home game-changers, and I’ve written a guide to creating your very own one on #FrontRoe today. Link in bio. http://liketk.it/2G16K #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Booootz 👢
  • ⁠I wear my ‘h’ necklace all day every day. I get so many questions asking where it’s from, so I decided to write a blog post with all my favorite letter necklaces. Link in bio for some beautiful initial necklaces for all budgets on the blog today (& also... the perfect Holiday 🎄 gift!)
  • This month @walmart is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Parents Choice, a selection of baby products that are high quality, safe and affordable for families. I shop there a lot and Honor told me about her favorites- link in bio to read #ad #walmartbaby ⠀
http://liketk.it/2FWt8 #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • ...with the AMAZING @LibertyLondon Advent Calendar from the @LibertyBeautyteam. It’s the fastest selling product in their 145 year history and has products worth over £600 ($730), but only costs £215 ($275). 25 full-sized beauty products curated by the superstars at #Libertybeauty, in a fully recyclable box with the iconic Strawberry Thief print. The perfect Holiday gift (even my little Christmas mouse thinks so) 🐭🌲🎁 #LibertyChristmas #LibertyCollective #LibertyLondon #AD
  • Lots of you guys are asking why we left LA, so I’ll be chatting about it on my stories today...
Also, why I 💙 a jumpsuit in Fall. Link in bio for this whole look
  • Had so much fun in NY recording an episode of the LIKEtoKNOW.it podcast with my friend @ambervenzbox Talking all things blogging and the work/mum balance. Link in bio to listen or swipe up on my stories @liketoknow.it http://liketk.it/2EQ5K #liketkit
  • I love a bold colour palette for Autumn, and wearing @boden_clothing always makes me feel at home #BodenByMe #ad⁠⠀
  • What a welcome back to London! First shooting all day with @pronovias (they made my wedding dress remember...) followed by a fun panel about fashion & confidence #pronoviastalks #ad
  • We made it to England! First stop: find Winnie the Pooh
And note to self, find our wellies!
  • Classic tailored pieces in bold colors are staples in my wardrobe and @courtandrowe have some BEAUTIFUL items. Old school classics re-imagined for modern women #CourtAndRowe #ad
  • Sweet tooth satisfaction without the guilt? Yes please! Click the link in my bio to learn how to make these delicious banana and chocolate chia cream parfaits. Full of things you’ll probably already have in the Kitchen and will give you your sugar fix without being too naughty. Yum yum http://liketk.it/2FJ72 #liketkit @liketoknow.it
Louise Roe and Mackenzie Hunkin wedding car in England
Tips On Capturing The Best Wedding Photos

It's hard to believe that it's been nearly 7 months since Mackenzie and I tied the knot. I can't emphasize...