My Top 5 Summer Beach Reads

Planning your Summer vacation? Here are my top paperbacks to take with you! All set in different countries around the world, I’ve cherry-picked my favorite beach reads of 2017 – from light-hearted romps to thrillers, emotive historical journeys, and gripping, political non-fiction.

Crazy Rich Asians, by Kevin Kwan
I was recommended this by a PR friend right before I left to host a show with Fox Asia, in a remote part of beachy Malaysia. It’s a hilarious, insightful read about the generational and cultural issues faced by a group of ABC’s (American-Born-Chinese) and the jaw-dropping wealth and snobbery they encounter. It not only made me want to visit (and eat my way through) Singapore, but I can’t wait to read its sequel, China Rich Girlfriend.

I Am Malala, by Malala Yousafzai
After seeing her speak at a charity dinner, I was enraptured by Malala’s wisdom and bravery. Shot in the head by the Taliban on her school bus in Pakistan’s Swat Valley for campaigning for the rights of girls to an education, Malala was not expected to survive. Instead, she and her family were relocated to England, where she continues her peaceful protests by speaking all over the world, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Her story is a must-read.

Mount! By Jilly Cooper
If you’re English, you know all about Jilly Cooper. Now in her seventies, this legendary author writes about posh people drinking scotch, riding horses in the sunny countryside, and shagging each other’s wives. It’s bloody brilliant! And now she has brought out another in the series, after a couple of decades break. I can remember finishing my English Literature degree Summer of 2004, having spent years deconstructing complicated novels and ancient poems. I bought my first Jilly Cooper book and spent the summer enjoying a very different kind of literature! PS. If you’re going to buy Mount, I’d start at the beginning with Cooper’s novel Riders, followed by Rivals, then Polo.

The Paris Wife, by Paula McClain
The Belle Epoque fascinates me. An era of decadence and artistic creation second-to-none. But not everyone realizes these geniuses associated with the period (F.Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound) were all buddies hanging out in Paris together, drinking absinthe at Les Deux Magots and holidaying as a group on the Riviera, or in Spain, to watch the Bull Fighting. The Paris Wife is a raw, romantic, sobering and sometimes sad peak into the life of Ernest Hemingway’s first wife Elizabeth, narrated from her perspective, as Hemingway struggles to find inspiration, social standing and enough publishing contracts to pay the rent. This is the first book I ever cried at, reading the end.

The House on Sunset Lake, by Tasmina Perry
I still feel so proud of my former editor, Tammy, when I see her books in the store! Even though she’s a best-selling author of over ten books, I still remember the day she gave me my first job a decade ago, as a features assistant at In Style magazine. She believed in me and has been a friend, mentor and source of inspiration ever since. So every Spring, when her newest novel drops, I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Her latest thriller is as glamorous as ever, set in Savannah, Georgia.

7 responses to “My Top 5 Summer Beach Reads”

I love the sound of all these books! especially the first one – I’ve heard so much about it I think I need a good easy read like that one!

2. Jae says:

I enjoyed reading Crazy Rich Asians too- interesting, easy and fast to read!

3. selam says:

those are really great books and can we get of these books as a giveaway?

4. Briana says:

Great recommendations! I read Crazy Rich Asians a few months ago and just read the follow up China Rich Girlfriend. Kevin Kwan’s books are so good!

Briana | youngsophisticate.com

5. Natalie says:

I am Malala is such an inspirational read!

6. Joanne says:

Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend were great reads!! He has a new one too – coming out soon called Rich People Problems!! Can’t wait to read it – I love his humor and the mixed in history and sociology lessons – fascinating and fun.

7. Victoria says:

Ooh thanks for sharing these reads, Louise! I’m especially excited to read I Am Malala. Her story reminds me of Fawzia Koofi’s as seen in her book Letters to My Daughters: A Memoir.

• Good morning from grumps and me 🤣♥️
  • Spending my best Malibu beach days in a comfy cotton maxi and discussing the four other essentials I always pack for beach chic. Link in bio http://liketk.it/2DnkN #liketkit @liketoknow.it⁠⠀
What’s your go-to for seaside elegance?
  • Got a new helper in the garden! 🍃 🌹
  • Cake 🍰 That’s my focus for the weekend! Mainly eating it. Scroll for more 🧁- and read how to transform your back garden into Positano, Italy, for a cake & cocktails party, today on #FrontRoe. Link in bio.⁠⠀
  • Red or floral? Help me choose!
Oh and happy Friiiidayyyyy
  • Breastpads on the red carpet, and the random moment that made me laugh (!?) during labor... Read my interview with @thetot, link in bio 👶
  • Can’t believe I’ve only just discovered hair scarves that are attached to hair ties and scrunchies- genius! Makes a bad hair day SO much easier to hide. Shop my collection of colorful hair scarves on the blog today. Link in bio #FrontRoe⁠
  • Besties 👯
Tag yours below! 💕
  • Swish swish swish! I seem to live in midi skirts this Summer. Click the link in my bio to read my ideas on how to style them, and shop all my favorites. This one is still on sale! http://liketk.it/2CWjj #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • The tiniest comfy heels I can wear all day, and why you need a brown tee in your wardrobe! See my stories for outfit swipe-ups
  • This dress is now half price! Shop it here - http://liketk.it/2D7sT #liketkit @liketoknow.it
So ready for the weekend - today we’re off on a road trip! What about you?
  • My Summer reading list is here! There’s nothing I love more about summer holidays than reading in the sun…even if it’s just for the odd hour when Honor is napping! Whether it’s a beach escape or a poolside holiday, I can be totally engrossed in a story right up until the sun has set. I’ve put together a list of my top titles on #FrontRoe for you to delve into this summer. Click the link in my bio to take a look, and make sure to let me know which ones on the list you have read in the comments! #bookclub #summerreads ⁠⠀
Louise Roe and Mackenzie Hunkin wedding car in England
Tips On Capturing The Best Wedding Photos

It's hard to believe that it's been nearly 7 months since Mackenzie and I tied the knot. I can't emphasize...