Is anyone else getting seriously freaked out by how quickly this year is flying by? I love this time of year, but last time I checked it was barely summer! Winter is always a tough time for your poor skin. Whether you live in the snow or even in the dry desert, your skin tends to suffer much more during the winter months. My friend Angela of Hollywood Glowgirl gives the most amazing facials, and she was kind enough to dish on some skin-saving tips for this harsher season. Read below on some tricks you can do to improve your winter skincare regime!
5 Steps To Healthier Skin This Winter:
1) Invest in a humidifier. Central heating and cold air outside can lead to dry, flaky skin and capillary fragility with the extremes in temperatures. It’s a great time to use a humidifier to add back some moisture to the air in your home. I recommend putting it in your bedroom, so that it works while you sleep.
2) Transition beauty products. This is also the time of year to start using a heavier moisturizer or face oil. Your skin can tend to dry out more easily in winter, so the moisturizer that you use during summer won’t cut it. Try a cream-based moisturizer, like this legendary Embryolisse Lait Crème Concentré (this stuff is literally famous in the beauty industry, and for good reason).
3) Exfoliate & moisturize. Since your skin is most likely drier in winter, it’s an excellent time for regular at home gentle weekly exfoliation to remove dry, dead skin cells. I swear by this 2 minute exfoliating treatment by Kate Somerville – you can really feel it work! I use it in the shower once a week during winter. A great winter mask to add back moisture is Thirsty Mud by Glamglow. You can sleep in it or wear while in an airplane because it’s clear, to lock in hydration. PS.This time of year one should avoid really hot baths or showers because this breaks down the lipid barrier and leads to drier skin.
4) Don’t forget about hands & feet! Hands and feet need extra care during the winter too to avoid sensitivity and cracking. Buy a good hand cream and keep it in your purse to re apply more often (I’m obsessed with this Supergoop one – it has SPF in it as well, so it’s great for any time of year). You can also apply before you sleep to your hands and feet while wearing cotton gloves on top to seal in overnight and cotton socks. I love this lotion by Kiehls – perfect for before bed.
2) Rose to the rescue. A self facial massage with Rose Quartz using a rosehip oil stimulates blood flow and lymph drainage keeping your skin bright, less puffy and nourished. Perfect for rejuvenating after all the holiday parties and traveling.