It’s Finally Here – Our Baby’s Nursery!

Readers of my blog will know that I’m obsessed with interior design (even more than fashion lately!), but this particular design project was more special than anything else we’ve done at home so far: our baby girl’s nursery. Maybe I’m just hormonal, but this adorable space turned out so sweet that it brought me to tears when finished.

Mackenzie and I were keen that the space wasn’t too ‘babyish’ – it was important to keep it elegant and in keeping with the rest of the house too. I adore a very English country feel, having grown up there; plus our house here in LA was built in the 1930’s, so it lends itself well to antique furniture and traditional prints.

First up, I went for wallpaper. I think it gives a room such depth. Chintz was top of my list, and is making a major comeback! I found the perfect pattern by my friend Nathan Turner. As soon as I laid eyes on it, I stopped looking at anything else.

Knowing we were having a daughter, I opted for a feminine color palette. Instead of traditional pinks, I took the green and peach from the wallpaper and ran with it. I found a storage basket from Serena & Lily, woven with a hint of seafoam, which is a great way to hide diapers!

I worked with Jessica McCarthy from the design firm Decorist, who whipped up a mood board from my notes, and began suggesting retailers and products for the space. Decorist does all correspondence between designer and client online, and is a really cost-effective way to work with a designer. Jessica’s advice has been super helpful in putting the space together – as a nursery isn’t just about aesthetics but a very practical array of items, and where they need to be placed, which is all new to us!

Jessica suggested layering a vintage rug over a sisal one, and she sourced the neutral rug from Bed Bath & Beyond, and I found the vintage one all the way in Turkey on Etsy! I love bringing unexpected things together and seeing how they work. The antique chest and side table from Viyet really brought the whole space to life – complemented by the 1920’s encyclopedia prints, which were another unexpected twist! I love how they look very chic and grown up, but are actually educational for children too. To pick up on the warmth of the gold frames, Jessica found a mirror and standing lamp, also from Bed Bath and Beyond.

One day when my Mum was visiting from England, we stumbled into Pottery Barn Kids, and fell in love with a crib, chair, and bedding. I couldn’t resist the lamb mobile, which Mackenzie has just finished hanging! The chair rocks and reclines, perfect for nursing in the middle of the night, and we got to choose an exact, custom fabric that would match the curtains, which we got from Loom. The ‘cot’ – as we call them in England, also turns into a toddler bed in a few years, which is handy. To keep everything neutral (I didn’t want anything bright), I chose simple, white quilted bed linen, which looks gorgeous. Plus, how cute is this little onesie? It looks adorable hanging on these silk mini hangers.

Lastly, I’m a bookworm, and grew up with traditional children’s literature like Peter Rabbit. So I couldn’t resist buying the full Beatrix Potter collection, to store on a marble shelf. Hopefully the ‘nursing corner’ will one day become our little girl’s ‘reading corner’ instead! Shop all the pieces below!

Shop Our Nursery:

Louise Roe Baby Girl Nursery Reveal

15 responses to “It’s Finally Here – Our Baby’s Nursery!”

1. I love how neutral, but feminine it is. I wish you an amazing parenting, filled with joy and love!

Your nursery is looking fabulous and I love that it’s so you!!

3. Cheryl says:

Very peaceful and lovely. I adore the Beatrix Potter books. My girls would carry them with them in their purses.

4. Ella says:

Louise it is just BEAUTIFUL! Most nurseries tend to be a cute explosion of pink or light blue, but this is way more charming in my opinion ☺️

5. smoothielover07 says:

Love, love, LOVE Honor’s nursery! Everything’s so adorable, of course! That little onesie hanging on her dresser and those booties on the Rifle Paper Co. edition of Little Women…babies will always and forever have the cutest things. 😀

6. Lindsay says:

Love this 💕💞💕Such a classic theme you’ve got going on there. Pretty wallpaper, lovely fabrics & Beatrix Potter books 👌🏻

7. Malia says:

Love it, especially the (future) book corner!!

8. Jae says:

Love the feminine color palette you got going on in the nursery. Your baby girl is so lucky to have such a beautiful nursery! Good luck on the remaining of your pregnancy!

9. Lichelle Nielsen says:

Such a beautiful and inspiring nursery forbyde cutest baby girl! Just s little tip regarding the mobile pattern over the crib: Babies gets more stimulated by moving colors, therefore colorful mobile pattern are the best way to stimumate your baby and help them focus their ability of sight. But again, really cute nursery items you’ve decorated the room with 🙂 best of luck and joy to you and your family!

10. Marianna says:

Beautiful nursery, Louise! I’m decorating my baby girl’s nursery, so thank you for the tips and inspiration!

11. Michelle says:

It looks gorgeous

12. kathy moschi says:

Yours nursery is so beautiful and styled…I did not expect anything less than you,I wish you to spend unforgettable moments of happiness in this room…..xoxo

13. Eva Fakari says:

Wish you all the best!,,,

Love from Greece!

14. Jana says:

TOPNOTCH!!
    Always been in love with your taste, and now more.
    Lucky Honor little girl, God bless her.
    Xoxox
    Best Regards,
    Jana

15. Kat says:

Crib bumpers can be a suffocation hazard and are best done without. Please be mindful.

• I missed the floral memo 🌺 🌸
@tanyaphilipson @milliemackintosh
  • All the things I wish I knew before I started blogging... Link in bio. How many of my followers are bloggers? I'm so curious! Comment below with your sites and I'll check them out! http://liketk.it/2wa6N #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Stomp the divots baby! Such a fab day @Cartier #Cartierpolo
Ps. My dress is @saloniofficial for those asking 💃
  • Happy 1st Father’s Day to this amazing man @mackenziehunkin, Honor and I love you so much.
Ps. We are off to the polo... my favorite thing! Watch along on my stories
  • Made it to England, where baby jet lag is no joke!!
But first can we talk about these 🐚 ... brava @rderavenel
  • It's Friday, and sometimes you just need a girl's night in, right?? Today on #FrontRoe I've cherry picked my top favorite documentaries that every fashion girl NEEDS to watch. So round up the girls and get watching tonight - consider it research? How many on the list have you seen? Tell me below!
  • A pre-Father's Day outing for our little fam, with @mackenziehunkin and I both decked out in new @neimanmarcus goodies! Did you guys see the looks I styled for him? Click the link in my bio to see and shop @neimansman #neimanmarcus #neimansman #ad
  • See you in the morning London! 🍷 @theprivatesuite
  • I love it when my friends make clothes and bags I can wear! If you follow me on the @liketoknow.it app, screenshot this pic to shop the entire look 📷 👖 🕶
http://liketk.it/2w7Xa #liketkit
  • Belated Mother’s Day surprise trip from @mackenziehunkin, yes please! We loved road-tripping with @silvercar and I was treated to a pretty picnic in the orange groves (thanks babes for being the designated driver!) #silvercarpartner #discoversomethingbetter​
  • One of my biggest saving graces during pregnancy and these first few months with Honor, has been having a solid group of mummy friends to talk to. Things can get lonely, even when you're surrounded by people. Which sounds silly but am I right?! It's so important to have someone who's going through (or gone through) what you are, to share your worries with, go to for advice, or just plain vent to. I was so happy to find the @peanut app, which is a social network for meeting like-minded mummies in your area. I've been using their Pages feature to get advice on everything from going back to work, post-natal fitness, and weaning Honor onto foods. I've had some amazing tips from other mums - I wish their new 'Pregnancy' page had been around when I was pregnant! If you're pregnant, or a new mummy, get on @peanut and share your tips with me! #peanutapp
  • I did it! Thank you Queen of color @lorrigoddard_ for making me blonde for the summer
What Was In My Hospital Bag

As you guys may know, we recently welcomed our daughter Honor into the world last week! What to pack in...