Beauty Secret: How You Should Really Air Dry Your Hair

Let’s face it, I’ve never been a pro when it comes to styling my own hair. These days as a new mum, it’s even harder to find the time to get a blowout (which is one of my absolute favorite ways to pamper myself), and to even attempt to do it on my own at home is just out of the question right now. So, air drying has become my new best friend! While this task can seem quite simple, depending on the texture of your hair, it can actually be very difficult to master. If done incorrectly, you can end up with a big frizzy mess on the top of your head. Nobody has time for that! Read on for my top 5 tips on how to air dry your hair, without the frizz.

1. Hair Masks
Masks aren’t just for our skin anymore. A hair mask can truly make all the difference in terms of how your hair will dry post shower. I love this Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment. Wash your hair as you normally would, then apply the mask for 5 minutes. I usually use this time to wash my face, shave my legs, or exfoliate. Once you rinse, your locks will feel silky smooth.

2. Brush your hair in the shower
To avoid frizziness at all costs, brush through your hair while it’s still soaking wet in the shower. This helps it to untangle much more easily, and helps the hair dry in it’s natural form and texture, without creating extra frizz. I highly recommend a Wet Brush if you don’t have one already – they’re made to be used with wet hair and have made a huge difference for me!

3. Towel off (correctly!)
Use a microfiber towel to gently squeeze the moisture out of your hair, without roughing it up. Traditional cotton towels can actually damage your hair, especially when you wrap them up on the top of your head (which most people tend to do!). They can be quite top heavy, which can cause breakage, thereby creating more frizz.

4. Wave/Surf Spray
I love the effortless look of tousled, beachy waves. On some days when I feel laziest and want an ‘undone’ look, I let my hair dry a little, then mist it with a texturizing spray for added bounce. It creates body, holds it in place, but never looks crusty or hard. This one by The Ouai is one of my favorites.

5. Leave-in products
When achieving the perfect air dry, using a leave-in product while your hair is still wet is an absolute must to avoid frizz. Some sort of nourishing styling cream or serum will help hair dry more smoothly, especially if you twist the product into the ends, and leave it be. The more you fuss with your hair while it’s drying, the more frizz you’ll have.

Do you guys have any tips for air drying your hair? Tell me your hacks in the comments below!

6 responses to “Beauty Secret: How You Should Really Air Dry Your Hair”

1. Emm says:

Keraste oleo-complex oil – It’s amazing! x

2. Sandra says:

As I expected!
    I didn’t even own a blow dryer until very recently my sister got me one. (I’m 22 years old!)
    I don’t like damaging my hair with heat because I feel it looks and works just fine when air-dried
    I got 4/5 of your tips checked already!

3. Tonada Koch says:

My tip for taking some of the rogue frizzies on top is to take a cheap toothbrush and spray hair spray on it and gently settle the frizz on top with it. Usually lasts all day.

4. Marcela says:

Redken No Blow Dry Bossy Cream!!
    The best! 😘

5. Zineb says:

Very amazing stips 👍

6. Claire says:

Hi!! Nice tips!! I have straight hair like you. I always let it air-dry but it sometimes end up being very flat and boring…
    One question: you only brush it wet in the shower? Or again after drying a bit with the towell?
    Thanks!!

• Does anyone else own a scrapbook?! 📚🤣If you don't necessarily consider yourself to be an 'artistic' person but still enjoy getting creative, you've got to try scrapbooking! I've been doing it ever since I was young (and even kept a wedding inspo moodboard secret from Mackenzie for a few years before we got engaged, lol) - and it's such a fun, easy way to express yourself. See how to make your own at the link in my bio
  • Sunday stroll with the fam 👶 👫
  • All this wedding fever is making me emotional! So I thought I’d share our wedding video. 2 years ago, @mackenziehunkin & I were married right next to Windsor... see if you can spot the castle!
Congratulations to the new Duke and Duchess of Sussex 👑💕
  • A simple, 3-step, twice daily skincare routine that can help me combat signs of premature aging in just 4 weeks? Yes please! As a busy, tired new mum my skin needs all the help it can get right now. Click the link in my bio to see how @marykayUS's new TimeWise® Miracle Set 3D™is transforming my skin, and read which key beauty ingredients you need to look for now #TimeWise3D #ad
  • Tonight... @dgbeauty turned an LA rooftop into romantic Italy! What a stunning setting to launch their new perfume - watch it all on my stories #dgitalianzest #partner 📷 @stefaniekeenan
  • The #RoyalWedding is just days away! Is anyone else as excited as me to see Meghan's dress?! I can’t believe they’re getting married in the same town we did! Check out my Stories on Saturday morning for a running commentary with my girls! I'm celebrating with a very English Royal Wedding viewing party, complete with finger sandwiches, tea in chintz china cups, and @sprinklescupcakes inspired by Meghan and Harry's own wedding cake. Click the link in my bio to see the full spread, and to make it for yourself this weekend!
  • Hawaii! This day last year! Pregnant but I didn’t know it... thank goodness I didn’t feel so well - and stopped drinking the vacay cocktails 🍹🧘‍♀️
  • Feel a style slump coming on? When I’m feeling a bit blah, I look to my favorite publications and social media accounts to get my creative juices flowing. Today on #FrontRoe I'm sharing my top places for gathering inspiration, to help get you out of a fashion or creative rut! Link in bio http://liketk.it/2vKoe #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Happy Mother’s Day!
I want to dedicate this post to one of my dearest friends, who became a Mummy to premature surrogate twins this year, only to tragically lose them a few hours later, as she held them in her arms. My friend had been through years of trying for a baby through IVF, and finally - after years of hope and patience - we all felt her and her husband’s dream of becoming parents was about to come true.
That heart-breaking day also happened to be the date Honor was born, so the poignancy was all the sharper. I still remember the moment I learned the news. My own mum was with me, and we wept silently, hugging.
I fully expected my friend to avoid Mackenzie and I for a while, to deal with her grief. Surely being around a newborn would just be too much. But testament to her angelic, brave character, she asked to come over. I’ll never forget the warmth and love in her eyes as she held Honor tight. She said she was full of hope. She said that the twins would be watching over, helping and guiding them on their continued journey to have a baby.
You’d think that would be enough to focus on, but no. Instead, this wonderful couple decided to set up @pompomsandstardust , a charity not only raising money to help other people have surrogate children, but one that offers crucial (and lacking) advice and support to the ‘IP’s’ (intended parents), along their journey.
If you or your loved ones have been through a difficult time conceiving, my heart goes out to you- I wish you strength, perseverance- and please feel free to share your story below.
The charity website will be up soon with more information, but for now follow @pompomsandstardust 💫
  • I don’t usually post throwbacks, but 1. my face ain’t cute right now after waaaay too little sleep! And 2. I just found this pic from the moment we arrived on honeymoon. I stepped out onto our balcony in Positano and took a deep breath and wow - what a view! Take me back to Italy!
  • Baywatch vibes for Friday afternoon by the pool! I’m obsessed with this @calzedonia swimsuit, check my stories to swipe up and shop it in time for Summer! #italianbeachwear #calzedonia #ad
  • My Summer uniform: denim, straw hat, & sandals made by my bestie @amanustudio
http://liketk.it/2vGPS #liketkit @liketoknow.it
Ps. Click the link in bio for the easiest, chicest, no-cook dinner party idea! Can you guess what it is?
Louise Roe Healthy Pear Cobbler Recipe
Easy And Healthy Pear Cobbler By Mummy Roe

This past summer my Mum and I made a super yummy, healthy peach cobbler on Insta stories, and so many...