Diet & Fitness: How I’m Staying In Shape During My Pregnancy

So many of you guys have asked me for ages to show you my diet and fitness routines, so today I’m showing you how I’m staying fit and healthy during my pregnancy. To be honest, my lifestyle hasn’t changed that much since I’ve been pregnant. There are obviously certain things that I’ve had to cut out like caffeine (although I do have one cup of tea in the morning and a decaf iced latte some afternoons), alcohol (I’m enjoying my one glass of red per week and oh my gosh – it’s heaven); sushi (I can still have California rolls, according to my doc, so that’s awesome), but I am eating relatively similar to before in terms of portions and cravings. I’m working out around four times per week, whereas before I would try to hit the gym or a class five times per week. Before pregnancy, I was always very health conscious, but I still gave in to a sweet tooth or pizza craving every now and then, and you guys know I love my cocktails – I’m a big believer in balance. It’s the same since I got pregnant – I want to give the baby as many nutrients and possible, but I don’t try to be perfect. I am pregnant after all, and cravings are par for the course. In the early stages of my pregnancy I had cravings for carb-loaded, salty, savory, cheesy things – which I gladly gave into. Now that I’m entering my third trimester, I’m back to my (mostly) normal self.

I try to incorporate tons of fruit, veggies, and healthy breads and grains into my diet. I love shopping at the farmer’s market on Sundays to grab local organic foods. I’m finally learning how to cook, so I’ll often pick up something fresh to make during the week. I drink dairy, albeit in smaller portions, and I eat real bread, real pasta – yes the dreaded gluten is in my diet at least 3 times a week! I love fish, seafood and chicken, but don’t eat that much red meat. I always need something sweet after dinner: either a chocolate yogurt, some ice cream or my childhood fave – a banana mashed with milk and topped with cacao powder. Read below for my typical diet during the week, and make sure to watch my full Vlog to follow along for every meal and every workout class I did last week! I’ve also linked some of my favorite (maternity & non maternity) fitness wear at the moment for you to browse.

Shop Activewear:

My Typical Breakfast:
PG Tips tea with 1 sugar and Lactaid Milk
Slice of pumpernickel or rye toast with marmite spread or coconut peanut butter
or
Steel Cut Oatmeal/Purely Elizabeth Oatmeal with Lactaid Milk or Almond Milk
Topped with bananas and maple syrup

Mid-morning/snacks:
About three times a week, I love my decaf iced latte with regular milk. It’s an absolute treat. I also love Trader Joe’s chocolate yogurt – it totally reminds me of being a kid.

Lunch:
Is usually spent out, on the run. I may have a lunch meeting at a restaurant or cafe (where I would probably get a salad, bowl, or avo toast), or I may be on a shoot and have to grab something quick and handheld. If I’m at home, I’ll usually have leftovers, or maybe a sandwich with deli meat and avocado (if you’re preggers, make sure to zap your deli meat in the microwave for 30 seconds to get rid of any potentially harmful bacteria – my doctor told me to do this).

Dinner:
I really go for it at dinner! We tend to have whatever we want. Whether it’s supper out at a restaurant, at a work event, or a home cooked meal with friends at home. You guys know I’m not the world’s best cook, but I am learning how to make some simple recipes here and there – like balsamic roasted brussels sprouts with grapes and walnuts!

10 responses to “Diet & Fitness: How I’m Staying In Shape During My Pregnancy”

1. Karen Ettinger says:

Freebie Fridays!

Good to hear the deli meat goes into the microwave 30 sec to kill any bacteria

2. Yuanqing He says:

Love it! Also #freebiefridays

3. Paola says:

Hello Louise,
    my diet is like your…is very very similar but I’m a little bit more fat (lol).
    But I dont understand how many times did you ho go to run?

Kiss
    Paola

4. Tugce says:

I adore your positive attitude!

5. Maria Grazia Conti says:

I find you absolutely powerful! You’re an ispiration to me!! Love you!

6. Maria Jose Verdu says:

7. Lex MG says:

Oh! How odd: I was under the impression that caffeine was OK during pregnancy. Not from personal or direct experience, but I used to be part of a discussion forum and one of our regular members would give us regular updates on her pregnancy, and she said she looked into it (online plus doctors) and came to the conclusion that the was NO definitive proof of ANY problem with intaking caffeine during pregnancy. Now you have me doubting that info. Also, that was about 10 years ago. Maybe new research shows_ _ _. Still, I would think it would have made headline news. Maybe I missed it.
    Anyway, thanks for continuing to post often ! Salutations.

8. Asma blagui says:

Love you

9. Kristiel says:

I did it I sign up and hoping I will win

10. Jessie says:

Pregnant women should not drink ANY alcohol. I cannot imagine your doctor hasn’t told you about that and don’t see how one can be so irresponsible.

• Does anyone else own a scrapbook?! 📚🤣If you don't necessarily consider yourself to be an 'artistic' person but still enjoy getting creative, you've got to try scrapbooking! I've been doing it ever since I was young (and even kept a wedding inspo moodboard secret from Mackenzie for a few years before we got engaged, lol) - and it's such a fun, easy way to express yourself. See how to make your own at the link in my bio
  • Sunday stroll with the fam 👶 👫
  • All this wedding fever is making me emotional! So I thought I’d share our wedding video. 2 years ago, @mackenziehunkin & I were married right next to Windsor... see if you can spot the castle!
Congratulations to the new Duke and Duchess of Sussex 👑💕
  • A simple, 3-step, twice daily skincare routine that can help me combat signs of premature aging in just 4 weeks? Yes please! As a busy, tired new mum my skin needs all the help it can get right now. Click the link in my bio to see how @marykayUS's new TimeWise® Miracle Set 3D™is transforming my skin, and read which key beauty ingredients you need to look for now #TimeWise3D #ad
  • Tonight... @dgbeauty turned an LA rooftop into romantic Italy! What a stunning setting to launch their new perfume - watch it all on my stories #dgitalianzest #partner 📷 @stefaniekeenan
  • The #RoyalWedding is just days away! Is anyone else as excited as me to see Meghan's dress?! I can’t believe they’re getting married in the same town we did! Check out my Stories on Saturday morning for a running commentary with my girls! I'm celebrating with a very English Royal Wedding viewing party, complete with finger sandwiches, tea in chintz china cups, and @sprinklescupcakes inspired by Meghan and Harry's own wedding cake. Click the link in my bio to see the full spread, and to make it for yourself this weekend!
  • Hawaii! This day last year! Pregnant but I didn’t know it... thank goodness I didn’t feel so well - and stopped drinking the vacay cocktails 🍹🧘‍♀️
  • Feel a style slump coming on? When I’m feeling a bit blah, I look to my favorite publications and social media accounts to get my creative juices flowing. Today on #FrontRoe I'm sharing my top places for gathering inspiration, to help get you out of a fashion or creative rut! Link in bio http://liketk.it/2vKoe #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Happy Mother’s Day!
I want to dedicate this post to one of my dearest friends, who became a Mummy to premature surrogate twins this year, only to tragically lose them a few hours later, as she held them in her arms. My friend had been through years of trying for a baby through IVF, and finally - after years of hope and patience - we all felt her and her husband’s dream of becoming parents was about to come true.
That heart-breaking day also happened to be the date Honor was born, so the poignancy was all the sharper. I still remember the moment I learned the news. My own mum was with me, and we wept silently, hugging.
I fully expected my friend to avoid Mackenzie and I for a while, to deal with her grief. Surely being around a newborn would just be too much. But testament to her angelic, brave character, she asked to come over. I’ll never forget the warmth and love in her eyes as she held Honor tight. She said she was full of hope. She said that the twins would be watching over, helping and guiding them on their continued journey to have a baby.
You’d think that would be enough to focus on, but no. Instead, this wonderful couple decided to set up @pompomsandstardust , a charity not only raising money to help other people have surrogate children, but one that offers crucial (and lacking) advice and support to the ‘IP’s’ (intended parents), along their journey.
If you or your loved ones have been through a difficult time conceiving, my heart goes out to you- I wish you strength, perseverance- and please feel free to share your story below.
The charity website will be up soon with more information, but for now follow @pompomsandstardust 💫
  • I don’t usually post throwbacks, but 1. my face ain’t cute right now after waaaay too little sleep! And 2. I just found this pic from the moment we arrived on honeymoon. I stepped out onto our balcony in Positano and took a deep breath and wow - what a view! Take me back to Italy!
  • Baywatch vibes for Friday afternoon by the pool! I’m obsessed with this @calzedonia swimsuit, check my stories to swipe up and shop it in time for Summer! #italianbeachwear #calzedonia #ad
  • My Summer uniform: denim, straw hat, & sandals made by my bestie @amanustudio
http://liketk.it/2vGPS #liketkit @liketoknow.it
Ps. Click the link in bio for the easiest, chicest, no-cook dinner party idea! Can you guess what it is?
Halloween DIY: Pregnant Avocado Costume

This Halloween will be unlike any other for me – I’m now in the third trimester of my pregnancy, and...