I always get tons of questions from my readers about packing tips, given that I travel so much for work. Packing efficiently is truly an art form, and is something that I admittedly have perfected over the years. I’ve had plenty of experiences where I either packed far too much or too little, or even forgotten important items completely. Thankfully though, today I have it pretty much down to a science. Now that it’s high summer, weekend getaways are on the brain, so I thought I’d show you guys how to pack for a weekend trip with only your carryon. Plus, I’m hosting a GIVEAWAY, where you’ll win this Hartmann leather carryon bag (worth $695!), and your own monogrammed laptop and cosmetics case from The Daily Edited! Scroll down for details on how to enter.
How To Pack For A Weekend Getaway
1. Invest in a trusty carryon with wheels and lots of compartments. If you buy the right one, you’ll have it for life! Make sure it has wheels, because even though it’s just for a weekend, no one wants to schlep a bag over their shoulder through an airport or to and from hotels. And handy compartments help you know exactly where everything is when you want to unpack fast.
2. Travel with 1 neutral purse, and wear it on the plane. Make it a crossbody that will go with any outfit you wear all weekend. I find that a nice camel/brown colored leather bag often does the trick.
3. Bring flat pouches for cosmetics and makeup. They’ll lay flatter and save space as opposed to bulkier cosmetics bags. However if your carryon has compartments, even better – save space by putting your stuff in there rather than being a case at all.
4. Bottoms. Pack 2 (1 pair of jeans or shorts, and 1 skirt). Wear one of them on the plane to save space – whichever is bulkiest/heaviest.
5. Tops. Pack 3 (1 tank, 1 blouse, and 1 tee). Wear one on the plane, and make sure each of them match with the 2 bottoms you’re bringing. Tops tend to be tiny, so roll them to save space in your bag.
6. 1 Jacket. And wear it on the plane. You’ll only need 1 the whole weekend, so bring a neutral like a white denim jacket or neutral leather piece. Even a cashmere cardigan that can be dressed up or down, and worn with any of your looks.
7. Shoes. 1 pair of sneakers (wear on the plane), 1 pair sandals (flat for walking during the day), 1 heel (make it a casual mule with a low heel for versatility).
8. 1 Dress. You may or may not wear it, but pack a slip dress that can be dressed up or down. Plus, slip dresses roll up tiny so it doesn’t hurt to bring it just in case.
9. Bring solid versions of your cosmetics. You can find solid perfumes, deodorants and soaps, which are so much easier for going through security.
10. Opt for an iPad in lieu of books. If you’re headed somewhere sunny for a weekend by the pool, you’ll probably want to read (if you’re like me, anyway). Bringing your recent reads can be heavy and take up space, so invest in a Kindle, or even download the app on your phone or tablet! It saves tons of space, and you can have thousands of books at your fingertips.
1. Follow @louiseroe on Instagram and tag 5 friends in my most recent photo
2. ‘Like’ my Facebook page here, and tag 3 friends on my most recent photo.
3. Follow me on Pinterest here, and comment #FrontRoeWin on one of my pins.
Winner will be announced on Instagram stories in 2 weeks. Good Luck!