My Top 5 Summer Beach Reads

Planning your Summer vacation? Here are my top paperbacks to take with you! All set in different countries around the world, I’ve cherry-picked my favorite beach reads of 2017 – from light-hearted romps to thrillers, emotive historical journeys, and gripping, political non-fiction.

Crazy Rich Asians, by Kevin Kwan
I was recommended this by a PR friend right before I left to host a show with Fox Asia, in a remote part of beachy Malaysia. It’s a hilarious, insightful read about the generational and cultural issues faced by a group of ABC’s (American-Born-Chinese) and the jaw-dropping wealth and snobbery they encounter. It not only made me want to visit (and eat my way through) Singapore, but I can’t wait to read its sequel, China Rich Girlfriend.

I Am Malala, by Malala Yousafzai
After seeing her speak at a charity dinner, I was enraptured by Malala’s wisdom and bravery. Shot in the head by the Taliban on her school bus in Pakistan’s Swat Valley for campaigning for the rights of girls to an education, Malala was not expected to survive. Instead, she and her family were relocated to England, where she continues her peaceful protests by speaking all over the world, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Her story is a must-read.

Mount! By Jilly Cooper
If you’re English, you know all about Jilly Cooper. Now in her seventies, this legendary author writes about posh people drinking scotch, riding horses in the sunny countryside, and shagging each other’s wives. It’s bloody brilliant! And now she has brought out another in the series, after a couple of decades break. I can remember finishing my English Literature degree Summer of 2004, having spent years deconstructing complicated novels and ancient poems. I bought my first Jilly Cooper book and spent the summer enjoying a very different kind of literature! PS. If you’re going to buy Mount, I’d start at the beginning with Cooper’s novel Riders, followed by Rivals, then Polo.

The Paris Wife, by Paula McClain
The Belle Epoque fascinates me. An era of decadence and artistic creation second-to-none. But not everyone realizes these geniuses associated with the period (F.Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound) were all buddies hanging out in Paris together, drinking absinthe at Les Deux Magots and holidaying as a group on the Riviera, or in Spain, to watch the Bull Fighting. The Paris Wife is a raw, romantic, sobering and sometimes sad peak into the life of Ernest Hemingway’s first wife Elizabeth, narrated from her perspective, as Hemingway struggles to find inspiration, social standing and enough publishing contracts to pay the rent. This is the first book I ever cried at, reading the end.

The House on Sunset Lake, by Tasmina Perry
I still feel so proud of my former editor, Tammy, when I see her books in the store! Even though she’s a best-selling author of over ten books, I still remember the day she gave me my first job a decade ago, as a features assistant at In Style magazine. She believed in me and has been a friend, mentor and source of inspiration ever since. So every Spring, when her newest novel drops, I can’t wait to get my hands on it. Her latest thriller is as glamorous as ever, set in Savannah, Georgia.

7 responses to “My Top 5 Summer Beach Reads”

I love the sound of all these books! especially the first one – I’ve heard so much about it I think I need a good easy read like that one!

2. Jae says:

I enjoyed reading Crazy Rich Asians too- interesting, easy and fast to read!

3. selam says:

those are really great books and can we get of these books as a giveaway?

4. Briana says:

Great recommendations! I read Crazy Rich Asians a few months ago and just read the follow up China Rich Girlfriend. Kevin Kwan’s books are so good!

Briana | youngsophisticate.com

5. Natalie says:

I am Malala is such an inspirational read!

6. Joanne says:

Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend were great reads!! He has a new one too – coming out soon called Rich People Problems!! Can’t wait to read it – I love his humor and the mixed in history and sociology lessons – fascinating and fun.

7. Victoria says:

Ooh thanks for sharing these reads, Louise! I’m especially excited to read I Am Malala. Her story reminds me of Fawzia Koofi’s as seen in her book Letters to My Daughters: A Memoir.

• Hello everybody! My name is Honor and I am 5 days old. I was born a week early and don’t quite fit into my onesies yet 👶Thank you for all your lovely messages welcoming me into the world 💕
  • How my bump grew from 3 months to 9 months... to baby! This first pic was taken way back in Spring when I was barely showing, I can remember wondering if people would guess! What an epic journey. Thank you all SO much for your heartfelt and kind messages yesterday, I can’t believe how many of you wrote to congratulate us. We are enjoying our new little family unit at home.
  • The last few days have been a life-changing whirlwind and the best of my life. Welcoming our daughter, Honor Florence Crosby Hunkin, born January 11th. We are both doing well, and enjoying getting to know each other. @mackenziehunkin and I are just besotted ❤️
  • Sure doesn’t feel like Winter in LA, but I’ll take it! See how I’m styling light layers & check out the maternity jeans that have been a total lifesaver – link in bio http://liketk.it/2udkV #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • Swipe to see my Insta life vs. preggo real life! Today on #FrontRoe I’m talking about how to make a statement in one single color – click the link in my bio to read, and shop the look: http://liketk.it/2ubSD #liketkit @liketoknow.it #ltkbump
  • Is anyone else as obsessed with the splatter crockery as much as I am? I’m absolutely in love with these dishes from @emma_bridgewater, so I’ve made a winter dinner party tablescape with them on #FrontRoe today. The best part? Get them for yourself 30% off until Jan 31st with my special code LOUISE30! More details at the link in my bio http://liketk.it/2ubO8 #liketkit @liketoknow.it
  • I think diamonds are the perfect gift for a life milestone — especially one as unique and precious as having your first baby! Watch my stories to see @mackenziehunkin and I shop for this stunning interlock diamond ring, a push present that will represent our new little family of 3 👶💕 @realisadiamond #realisrare #myloveisrare #ad (jewelry: @efcollection)
  • Come play inside MY CLOSET! For the first time ever I’m taking you inside my wardrobe, plus sharing tips on how to detox and organize yours! Link in bio
  • Finally a rainy day in LA ☔️ And this is one of my favorite rainy day hair hacks - tuck your hair into your coat and be done with it!
  • This time last year at the #GoldenGlobes! Today, I’ll be LIVE on Instagram at 3.30pm PT breaking down the fashion from my sofa instead!! Who’s joining our party??
  • Does anyone else get excited when the @Pantone color of the year gets announced?! (I know...I'm a nerd) but from eating my favorite English chocolate bar, to the perfect pair of velvet boots, today on #FrontRoe I'm talking about 12 chic ways incorporate ‘Ultra Violet’ into your life (including the coolest paint color from @homedepot that has major "The Crown" vibes) - click the link in my bio #ad
  • Two bumps and a babe (could that be our girl band name!?) so special to see these girlies @chiaraferragni @rachelzeilic 👶 👶
Louise Roe and Mackenzie Hunkin wedding car in England
Tips On Capturing The Best Wedding Photos

It's hard to believe that it's been nearly 7 months since Mackenzie and I tied the knot. I can't emphasize...